Friday, November 7, 2008

A Scary Situation

Yesterday I passed out for the first time in the middle of lab class for Anatomy & Physiology. I know this is not necessarily a big deal for everyone, but for me it was because I had never passed out before. It was very scary and embarrassing all at the same time. We were doing several different breathing procedures to look at how our heart rate and breathing rate were affected by doing different things because we are studying the respiratory system and how it works. I was specifically doing the Valsalva's maneuver when I passed out. This is a maneuver where you try to forcibly exhale with a closed airway. They were trying to demonstrate how your heart rate changes when you do things like this. I still don't know exactly what happened, but apparently I put my head into a bucket of water that was out for a different part of the lab and then fell to the floor and took the bucket with me. This obviously got water everywhere. I woke up fairly soon after I hit the floor, but it took me a little while to figure out where I was and what had happened. The teachers then came over to help me out. One of the graduate assistants teaching my class went and got Dr. Lankford, who is my professor for the lecture part of the class. He was very nice and took me to the hospital. He also waited there until I knew I could get a ride home with one of my housemates. All of this was a very weird and scary experience. It was weird because I rode in the car with one of my professors and it was scary because I passed out for the first time. I keep having flashbacks of when I woke up and didn't know where I was or what was going on. Anyway, just an interesting experience I had in my lab class yesterday. I am back to normal now and they found out that there was nothing wrong with me. I apparently just passed out because of the exercise we were doing in class. I am very thankful that nothing is wrong with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Us too. Glad you are o.k. Be careful in that class.
Love, Mr. & Mrs. B