Saturday, May 24, 2008

CAMP!!!!

I have now been at camp for almost a week. Things are going really well and as usual I am having a blast. This past week we have been doing work projects around camp and have been going to many different training sessions. Earlier this week I spent most of my time doing work projects. Yesterday I spent all day getting trained in First Aid, CPR, and AED use. I enjoyed this a lot even though it seemed like it took forever. Today I found out that I was going to be in the Raptors Unit which is kids ages 9-11 in it. I am really excited about this because this was the unit I was in last year and I love that age group. We also had a day off today.

I am having a lot of fun meeting and getting to know so many knew people. There are a whole lot of international staff this year, which always makes things fun. It is so interesting to watch and listen in order to observe their different cultures. God has been really good to me this summer already. I have met two girls who are strong Christians and we have started building relationships with each other. This is such a big deal because last year, even though I loved it here at camp, I was kind of isolated by myself. I am really excited to continue to get to know these girls and build relationships with them.

I have already begun to see God working in my life this summer. Every night at camp we do a thing called Evening Embers which is basically a recap of the day and a way to get to know everyone in the cabin you are in. Well, several days ago, my cabin was having Evening Embers and we ended up getting in a deep discussion about religion. Three of my cabin mates talked about how they were atheist and didn't believe in the Bible and were asking a lot of questions about Christianity. After hearing what they had to say, my heart broke into pieces. It was so sad to realize that they were completely lost and had no hope. I think I have known this for a long time when it comes to the people I work with, but it really hit me the other night. I believe that God spoke through me that night. He helped me to answer their questions and really care about what they had to say. This definitely reminded me that I am not just here to have fun and get paid, but I am here to be a witness to the many lost people around me that I am working with. It is so exciting to see God working in my life and working through me to reach out to the people around me. I have truly been humbled by this experience. Please pray with and for me that God would continue to use me in mighty ways this summer.

In general, I am doing really well and am really excited about this summer. A lot of the things that I was really worried about have been solved. I think we have a great staff this year and can't wait till the kids get here in just a little over a week. I will try and continue to update you on how things are going.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that you deleted those comments that myself and someone else left. Once again, it shows how, even though Christians are supposed to love everyone and accept them, they really are exclusive, rude people who can't handle seeing the other side of an argument, disagreement, or discussion. I know you'll probably delete this one too, but maybe you'll surprise me and leave it up just to spite me. Who knows?

Laura said...

I am really sorry if I have offended you in any way. That was not my intention at all. All I was doing was making an observation. Also I assure you that the reason I removed your other comment was not because I am not willing to listen to other people's opinions, it was strictly because I felt really bad about what I said. I am completely open to learning about other people's opinions and views. I actually think that doing that is really interesting. Once again, I am really sorry if I have offended you.