Sunday, March 16, 2008

Group Projects

As many of you know, group projects are an integral part of a college education, but I definitely not a fan of them. I understand that they are a useful teaching strategy and that people need to learn how to work together, but they are so difficult. I would much rather just do the project myself and get it done with instead of trying to set up times to meet with people, and deal with people who don't do their part. Right now I have at least five group projects assigned. Two are due this coming week and the others are due sometime in April. The first one that is due this week is for health class. My group has some kind of irresponsible boys in it who are supposed to put the majority of the power point together and then the whole group with get together to put the finishing touches on it. I just know I am going to get to class tomorrow and find out that nothing has been done on it and that we will have like 72 hours to do all the research and put the presentation together. The second project is to write a group paper for my Nursing class. It is just a weird assignment. Why in the world is a group of people trying to write ONE paper? This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I can understand a power point, poster, or some other type of thing a group can work on together, but a PAPER? My group for this project is having an even harder time. We were all supposed to read an article and then answer a set o questions about the articles. Then one girl volunteered to write the paper putting together all of the peoples answers. Then the group would get together to put the finishing touches on it. Well, she has only received answers from half the group and one girl just gives excuses for why she hasn't turned anything in. I really don't like group projects. They are such a hassle.

No comments: