Tuesday, January 22, 2008

This Summer

I know it is kind of early to start thinking about what I am going to be doing this summer, but as many of you know I like to plan far ahead. Over Christmas Break, one of the wonderful opportunities I had was to go to the YMCA Camp Lakewood Staff Reunion. It was a whole lot of fun and I enjoyed seeing people that I haven't seen for quite a while, as well as, getting to be in the camp environment again. Well, as might be expected, when I was there I decided that I really wanted to return to some kind of camp environment this summer, but I didn't know how it was going to happen. Ever since I changed my major, I have been planning on taking a summer class in order for me to graduate Spring of 2011. I started looking at my four year plan and realized that I could not take the class I was planning to take because I will have not taken the prerequists for it. I was so excited.

I did spend some time looking into Ridge Haven Camp (camp for the PCA denomination). After doing quite a bit of research and even talking to some people who worked there, I decided that it was not the place for me. There are several reasons for this: First of all it is really far away and the logistics of getting me there are a lot more complicated. Second, is that I really need to make more money than they were able to offer me.

Well, all of this is to say that I am officially returning to YMCA Camp Lakewood for a second summer. I am so excited about this and am once again very thankful for this opportunity God has given me to minister to children. Even though there were some aspects of last summer that were quite difficult, I feel like this is what God has called me to do and that he is using this opportunity to prepare me for possible missions work in the future. Not only has God given me the opportunity to minister to the children that I come in contact with, but also to the other staff that I come in contact with. I pray that God will use me in a powerful way to change the lives of kids this summer. I can't wait until May 18th when staff training starts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great news! I am disappointed about Ridgehaven, though, since Ed is going to be speaking there one week. If you were there, you'd probably be too busy to spend time with anyways, though. So, hooray for you and for the kids.